Tuesday, March 1, 2011


This time last year, I was freaking out about adult decisions I was forced to make. You'd be pleased to know everything has worked out beautifully. Better than I ever imagined. If you look up Happy in the dictionary you'll see a picture of me.

I took the job at the restaurant, waiting tables, meeting people, learning the finer advantages of small talk. Connection, even when brief, is something you carry with you right along with that full stomach or the coffee in your hand. Good or bad. I have the opportunity to impact another soul. And it works both ways; as the customer's presence walks out that door I'm often left with a feeling of "whoa!" or a "wow!" Body language (75% of communication) tells it's own story. The silent couple with elbows on the table creating their own private space, staring at their food, lifting their eyes to glance out the window, seldom or never at the person across from them. Only upon finishing do their eyes connect, silently asking if the other is ready to go too.
Then there's the guy who parades in, fanning his beautiful plumage, and announces himself to the entire restaurant. He involves me in his conversation even as I am waiting on the other tables, begging for attention. All he needs is a smile and a touch on the shoulder and I've gained privilege to hearing his story and him asking about mine.
Even though we're only two states away, people love to hear about Alaska. I try to not enter that one when the floor is full because they don't want me to leave, like I am there for their dinning entertainment alone. Waitressing has been an awesome experience. It's a great way to meet community and people traveling from all over the world, and to better your knowledge of self.

Along with waitressing, I also started two businesses. One is selling yarn, notions, and my knit wears. My shop is part of another, very cool, shop here in Rockaway Beach. The Frugal Crow has six vendors, one of which is me. Ann Savage, the owner, approached me at the restaurant and asked if I'd like to sell yarn and my hats in her store. I love it!! And it's totally amazing to me. One year ago I was off to Alaska to manage a yarn shop for Cheri Pyles in Ketchikan and now I have my own in Oregon. I didn't see that one coming! It's not my bread and butter job but it's coming along. Plus it's my passion. I also teach knitting to a group of about ten ladies and one man. He is the greatest guy, knitting a billion 6 x 6 inch squares to s
ew together for a quilt for his mom. How many guys do you know would do that for his mom? The other gals are just a hoot too, most of them never knit before or if so, it was so long ago they might as well not have. But so far, they have completed one baby sweater, three hats, three pairs of fingerless gloves and many many ripped out rows.
My other business is actually an offspring of my girlfriend's. This wonderful woman started her own business cleaning beach houses (second homes to most) that are rented out as vacation homes. She does not advertise. The expansion of her clientele comes solely by word of mouth. She has the trust and respect of so many that last summer she started turning some folks down. Largely, they wanted yard work done and her schedule was packed with house cleans. I told her I'd take on the yards for some extra income. That offering has grown into its own and I now carry business cards with me. People stop and ask me if I have time to work on their place too! I can't believe the luck!! I love working outdoors on a yard that is so overgrown that when I'm done it looks like a new place. And it pays very well! It is hard work, keeps me fit, and keeps their property attractive and functional.
So there it is. One year later and I've found my place. In my mission statement I said I wanted to "go where my senses lead me, work where I'm needed, and give what I am able," and it has found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment