Monday, July 27, 2009

The Jump

"Sounds like a mid-life to me."
"With who?"
"You are so brave."
"I'm so jealous!"
These are the comments I hear when I tell folks I'm moving after 30 years on this island. 
"I'm selling everything but the truck and the white boxer and living in my van to have the freedom to hike and write and breathe."
Their silence and contorted face say I can't be of sane mind to give up what is secure.  I can't possibly do it alone.  I am going where others are afraid to step.  But seriously, who wouldn't want to? And why can't I?  
Whether I am down the street or across the nation, I am only as far away as my keyboard or Blackberry.  I can lock it all up and be home within a matter of hours if I need be.  Yet, I can be removed as I want to be.  For the first time in a long time (ever?), I will be as connected or disconnected with/from  society as I feel necessary.  I can put myself in a silent retreat in southern Utah or in the liveliness of a spirited brewpub in Colorado.  
There are physical risks in adventure.  There are mental risks in leading a stagnant life.  I'll take my chances with fulfilling an active life of possibilities and new exploration.  *Cheers!*

No comments:

Post a Comment